Eight Quick Ways to Find Water In an Emergency Situation
- Melt your ice cubes.
- Drain your pipes.
- Drain your hot water tank.
- Drain your toilet cisterns (not the bowl, and disinfect them to be on the safe side).
- The liquid in canned and frozen food can be a source of water.
- Use buckets or empty bottles to collect water from nearby sources.
- Place plastic bags over a collection of leaves on a bush or small tree; sunlight will cause the leaves to release moisture which will be trapped in the bag.
- If you have access to power, a dehumidifier can be used to collect water from the surrounding air.
A solar still takes a little longer to build but knowing how to make one may come in handy. How to Make a Solar Still
Note: Be sure to treat emergency water supplies appropriately before drinking.